Thursday, August 9, 2007

Karibu and Jambo!

Village Volunteers was an incredible experience.  I just spent 6 weeks at Common Ground program and 10 days at Namunyak Masaai Welfare.   Both places were unique in it's own way and have opened my mind without question.

 

The people I met and came to love at common ground were absolutely amazing.  During my stay I was able to work on various sustainable development projects.   I was also able to take part in several physical education classes with the kids which was a lot of fun.  The kids there are amazing and it was not easy saying goodbye.   I only hope I was able to give the people of common ground as much as I received from them.  The accommodations make you feel right at home and Mama Sandra and Mama Elizabeth make one mean chapatti.

 

Numunyak was also a great time and I was only there for a little more than a week.  During my short stay I was able to pick the mind of a Emmanuel Tasur who is currently running for MP.   Emmanuel has an amazing vision for change and I hope he keeps his vision ripe.  During my stay I was able to attend a fundraiser for a local school as well as a political rally.   I ended my trip with a safari at Masaai Mara which was awesome.  The wildlife is unmatched and Emmanuel is a great guide.

 

The best part of this experience has been the people I have met and the friendships I have made.  It is no fun saying goodbye, but this experience has given me all the reason to come back to Kenya.   If you are at all curious about experiencing Kenya this is the way to do it.  It will be something you will never forget.  

 

Joshua Braunstein – Dix Hills, NY – USA - jsb100@gmail.com

No comments: