Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Asutsuary Women Development Society

Since visiting Africa 11 years ago and doing all of the touristy things I wanted to return to spend some time with the people. I really felt like I could learn something from people that seemingly have so little but yet seem so happy. After spending nearly a month living in Asutsuare and working with the women of the Asutsuare Women’s Development Society I feel as though I got a sense of the amazing spirit that these people have. The women went out of there way to make me feel welcome and for the month I was there it felt like I had 32 mothers.

I come from a farming background and also wanted to learn about farming systems in Ghana. Around Asutsuare they use the water from the Volta to irrigate rice. You really have to admire the adversities that these people work with. Farming rice is a difficult business, working in hot, humid fields often ankle deep in water, relying on manual labour for most of the work. It’s hard to fathom spending the three weeks prior to harvest out in the field everyday from 6 in the morning until 6 at night scaring birds off of the nearly ripe crop.

In the short time I spent in Ghana I was privileged to get what I felt was a true sense of how the people live and work. I hope that I was some value during my time there and won’t be just remembered as the Aussie who sweats all the time.

Andrew Ware
Tumby Bay, South Australia
Asutsuare Women’s Development Society, Ghana
March, 2008

No comments: