Friday, July 25, 2008

An anxious feeling in my stomach,

I remember waking up in the morning in Rome with an anxious feeling in my stomach, this was exactly 5 weeks ago. This morning I woke up with the same feeling knowing I had to go back home. I am not sure what it was, anxiety, fear a mix of feelings. It is not my first time in Africa, I have been to Zambia and Namibia having the done the same type of work he difference was this time I set off on my own wanting to go out and do something useful and at the same time disconnect from the other half of the world. If having a break for everyday life is what you need then I assure you that Africa is the place to go. You get so absorbed by everything that is around you that you forget your other life back home. I feel I have two lives now, actually three because I study in London and my hometown is Rome! Getting back to my experience this is how it went…

Arrival at the airport I was worried no one was going to be there and having to deal with my heavy luggage was my big issue. But as Village volunteers assured Gunadiish was there waiting with a big smile! I was relieved! In the taxi the first thing I noticed is the honking, everything seems to have a reason to beep at each other! Next looking outside I saw little flames on small tables to light up what they were selling. I remember thinking wow that’s late to sell things, but soon I came to understand that people here are never tired of trying to sell their goods. As soon as any vehicle approaches everybody rushes to try and sell. “Pure water” with a funny accent is definitely the most entertaining one! Anyway my first night at Gunadiish’s I did not sleep! I was so anxious and felt so strange about being here. I thought to myself oh my god why did I come here alone? The thought quickly changed..Also to my surprise there was another volunteer, Denise who was coming to Have too, I had no idea and turned out to be the greatest company and shared a series of funny experiences!

Next morning we were supposed to set off early but we did not end up leaving till 2 o clock so when we arrived in Have it was night so did not have the chance to look at the environment. The next morning I remember thinking that it was such a organized, clean and lively little town. Everyone was looking and probably curious about our arrival! Two white women, “Yovu Yovu” the children are never tired of calling you that! A few days later met my coordinator Paul which always made sure that everything was in order; especially in the future weeks that would come to make sure that we had our water. So which is the best pure water? Abba?B still or Mosaka? I have tried all of them and me and Denise definitely vote for B still which we never had again!

Next was my experience as a health volunteer in the clinic. I am no doctor, although I wish I was havealways wanted to study medicine and after this experience even more! What there is to say about it is that if you are not qualified as a doctor there is not much you can do practical apart from filling out forms. I did not expect that and especially the fact that Have clinic has all the necessary staff there and therefore as soon as I was helping with someone I was in a way taking someone else’s job which was not very comfortable. I got upset by that at first because felt I was not giving anything to the people more I felt I was taking away something, their job! I soon made people understand that I was really keen on doing something more and wanting to learn from them. That is when I met Godsway, which was sitting in the consulting room when I first met him. I remember thinking he looks young, turns out he s only 24 but have worked by his side and he is very capable in what he is doing, especially with a smile on his face! I started helping him in the dispensary just filling out the forms, then counting medicines, then being left alone to count medicine and register I could not give out medicine because of the language barrier and also because wanted to check if I was doing it right. Soon I think he must have observed me and put a little trust in me. Soon Iwas he dispenser myself and gave out the medicine in Ewe! That it is when I started loving the work there, I was doing something being helpful because there was a lot to do there and being able to minimally communicate with the locals is the most fulfilling thing of all. Especially when they are so welcoming and happy that you are making the effort of speaking the language! My experience I the clinic was unforgettable and I met very nice people and thanks to all of them. Special one to Godsway, which surprised me in every way.

My excursions while I were there were last minute organized so I did not experience one of Gunadiish’s popular tours! Instead I was given a tour by Paul which made us discover the hidden beauties of the Volta Region. It is such a beautiful place that yet has not totally been discovered by tourism. He is hoping to develop a little dream of his which I think will have great potential! The Wli waterfalls were breathtaking, water running down from above, a pool to swim in, spectacular is what I have to say. The walk there in the rainforest is beautiful, to be immersed in nature. From there we went to Tafi Atome the monkey sanctuary and they are just full of character. The come right next to you and take the banana right from your hand. They will look at you in the eyes as they peel the fruit an then once they feel they had your consent in taking it they will run up in the tree to eat it. We went to Amedzofe which is the largest human habitat on a mountain. It is incredible how people have been able to build so high up, but then again everything amazes me about people here, the work they are involved in, the energy they use in everything they do. Just everything. The Volta region is definitely somewhere to go exploring!

I could go on writing forever but there is too much , too many feelings and memories involved. What I will say is that this experience has given me something big, I realized when I left this morning, the emotions were so strong and I really did not expect it. The people I have met and bonded with have each given me a little something about themselves which I will carry away with me in my memories. Godsway with his transformation as a person, Samson and Richard which are always there to help and make up funny songs about me, Jimmy which I cannot even count how many times he has flashed me in all this time, but his big smile is what I will remember. Finally Kofi, the caretaker of the house, a teacher, and a very good friend now. He was a big part of being there. Just looking at him makes me smile. I wake up in the morning with his singing which is something I am going to miss! Wish him all the luck with his newlywed wife Yawa, a very nice person too! Many others to thanks but it is time for me to go! Bye Ghana!!!

Celia Ponzo
Rome, Italy
Have CLINIC
June 11 – july 13 2008

No comments: