Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My most memorable experience

My trip to Ghana as a volunteer was very memorable. The thing that stands out most are the people of Ghana themselves who are very friendly, very cheerful very hospitable and very optimistic.

I chose to volunteer for Women Empowerment Program. I stayed in a small town called Nsawam, a two-hour drive from Accra, the capital city of Ghana. I worked with an NGO called AMPA which is contributing significantly in the area of HIV/AIDS education. I helped with many workshops and seminars organized by AMPA resources foundation. I helped by helping to conduct group discussions, role plays and dramas to raise the awareness of the issue. The role plays and dramas were part of the workshops. The people participated very enthusiastically in all the tasks organized by the volunteers. In fact, it was a two-way learning process. I learned a lot from them as well. I would go to AMPA office at about ten in the morning and workout the details of the seminars and workshops and off we would go to meet the targeted groups. The beautiful thing about the workshop discussions was the willingness of the people to discuss the issue openly and honestly.






The weekend trips that we went were out of this world. The most memorable one was the trip to Mole National Park. That night was a magical one with a very beautiful starlit night with even the Milky Way visible. The campfire, the exotic African drums and the dance created a magical night.

Geetha Nagendra
Hong Kong
August 2007
Nsawam project volunteer
Women Empowerment/ HIV Aids project

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Geetha, I am very interested in doing the same thing as you are. i would love to hear more about your experience. Please contact me at princesskellbell44@hotmail.com.

Thank you,
Kelly Brown