Friday, January 18, 2008

My Days in Ghana



I spent three months living at the Kumasi Institute for Tropical Agriculture (KITA) in a rural area near Kumasi. As an International Development Studies major in university, I wanted to gain some experience volunteering through both an international NGO and a local organization, and Village Volunteers fulfilled that experience for me. I found their support before, during and after the trip extremely comforting and was especially glad to have the in-country coordinator, Gunadiish there when I needed him!
I was blown away by the hospitality and kindness of Ghanaians, and after the three months was comfortable having some degree of conversation with them in the local language, Twi. KITA is an non-governmental agricultural college, and staying there I got the opportunity to learn much about tropical agriculture, grow my own vegetable garden, and also care for mushrooms and rabbits. However, my main project was a community development youth program in the surrounding two villages, Apromase and Domeabra. I facilitated a club where, with the help of the KITA students, we tried to encourage farming as a sustainable livelihood for the future of junior high school students, through the creation of school vegetable gardens, production of mushrooms and snails, and other lessons on sustainable, organic agricultural methods. The children I worked with showed amazing commitment and leadership throughout the program, and they always managed to make me smile. The students I met at KITA showed me that they are just the same, in so many ways, as my university-aged friends at home, and I made some great friendships with these amazing, hardworking people.
I was glad that I was able to be in Ghana long enough to experience both the challenges and benefits of working for an organization, of trying to immerse yourself into a whole new culture, and of facilitating a program in a completely different cultural context. I learned so much that I have taken back with me, which I can apply to my school, work and general outlook on my life. To any future Village Volunteers, I highly recommend trying to stay for a longer period of time, as the more time you spend in a place you gain real insight on how to become a part of that place. Ghana will always be a part of me, and I hope to return there someday.
Michelle Schram
Winnipeg, Canada
KITA Village Volunteer
October-December 2007
Apromase-Domeabra, Ghana

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle,
I know this is by far the most random way to do this, but I found your wallet. Call me

(jeremy) 296-1635