Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Experiences in a Herbal Clinic in a village in Ghana

Antie Esi is back in Accra!

There are not enough words of beauty to describe my experience here in Ghana. I worked in a village called Owuram located in the Eastern Region. The village is small with no electricity. I was placed at a Herbal Clinic where I worked along side and witnessed the excellent work of Dr. Normesie. I saw amazing improvement in the stroke patients who live at the clinic and became close with them and their caretakers. The village life is full of nature, beauty and loving hospitable people. I’ve learned many things about herbal medicine and had a lot of hands on work with the plants themselves. I saw all the processes of herbal medicine from collecting the plants, to the manufacturing, packaging and sales. Owuram will always have a warm place in my heart. The 4:00am wake up call by the rooster, bathing outside as the sun rises with the occasional visits from the goats and chickens, the bushwacking hiking trails, fufu (a local meal), the children calling me “OBRONI OBRONI!! (whiteman!)” everywhere I go, the caretakers and their patience, doing my own laundry, the cocoa farms, the music, and so much more of the culture. And it’s true Ghanaians are really the nicest people you will ever meet!! When I first entered the village I was greeted by the elders of the village, they performed a prayer for me which was very powerful. The prayer was said to protect me from the evil sprits. I felt very honored to have this prayer.

The excursion with Gunadiish to the Ashanti Region was truly a treat. The bamboo forest was one of my favorite spots in Ghana. I also took the Batik and tye and dye class in Accra one weekend. I was able to make my own bayic and tie and dye local cloth which are going to make wonderful gifts for the family!

I’ve only stayed here for one month, but I’ve learned so much and made so many friends here in Ghana. It’s been the hardest thing I’ve done in a long time to leave this place. I will always remember the memories that Ghana has given me. Thank you Village Volunteers for allowing me to have this great opportunity here in Ghana. It’s truly been a trans-personal experience.

Shoshanna Rome
Sommerville, MA, USA
Health for all Clinic/Research Institute
Awuram, Asamankese, Ghana
Dec, 07 - Jan, 08

2 comments:

Tg FootPrints said...

I was told that the departure of Shoshanna from the village was a very emotional and touching time for all the clinic staff, the village and herself. Shoshanna has been very friendly and did well to mix with the people and merged herself in the culture leaving behind whatever she knew and practiced in the states. The trick did it. She was very laid back also. She achieved more than her goal during her very short stay. Truly, she was one of the volunteers with a great difference. And like others, she will ever be remembered in the village. And my word again to all is; that the best way to enjoy your experience and achieve your goal in this ENIGMATIC continent is to forget about what ever you know from wherever you are coming from and MERGE in the people’s custom and tradition. PEACE TO YOU!

travelling_asians said...

I saw your pictures on Gunadiishs computer when I stayed at his house....they are amazing! You did a great job of capturing the emotions of the village you stayed in. Congrats!