Saturday, June 14, 2008

An amazing experience

Visiting and volunteering in Ghana was an amazing experience. Through Village Volunteers I was able to see parts of the country, provided with insight into Ghanaian culture and able to experience Ghanaian village life. I found Ghanaians to be extremely hospitable and friendly. The kids are always curious to know who you are, where you are from and they always want you to play.

Ghanaian countryside is lush and gorgeous. The available trips are an easy way to see different parts of the country and to appreciate different aspects of their culture and people. With VV I went on the Northern Region tour where we got to see their typical homes and lifestyle and go on a Safari. I was also able to make it to Cape Coast which is gorgeous as it is on the ocean. The canopy walkway and the Elmina castle make it a worthwhile trip.

Being posted in the Volta Region I had the challenge of learning Ewe. I found it very difficult to pick up the language as it is very tonal. It was also a challenge to communicate with many Ghanaians in the villages as their English is lacking. I enjoyed working in Akoepe and on Ho farms as the workers were kind and happy to let me join them in their tasks. I was also able to learn a great deal about farming in Ghana and in general. Village Volunteers provides an easy way to understand and get acquainted with a whole new culture and people.

Celene Montgomery
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Akoepe Village Farms
June, 2008

No comments: