Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My time in Atorkor

My time in Atorkor was personally challenging and rewarding. I was warmly welcomed by the kind people of the village. The accommodation was well above standard and expectation. I did not find it difficult to acclimatize myself to Ghana whatsoever. The personal challenge I encountered was wrestling the North American value system to African virtue. The history of the Ghanaian people has developed a community of strength and peace, ultimately setting the foundation for morality. This type of "community" is something that I see less and less of in North America. Because I knew I my visit to Ghana was for only 3 weeks, I mentally had to reconcile how I fit between the two differing cultures. Now that I am back home, I find it easy to slip into the "self-sufficiency" mentality. I consciously have to remind myself of my experiences in Africa to effect change in my perspectives, my friends perspective, as well as my family perspectives.

Paula Loewen
Westbank, BC Canada
Atorkor Development Foundation
May, 2008

No comments: